Friday, January 27, 2006

Big Day Out, 2006


2ManyDJs 1
Originally uploaded by WilliamJBurroughs.

I've been relaxing nicely for the last week - making the most of my newfound calling as a man of leisure. Tennis has been played, and I went from undefeated champion (7-6, 6-4, 6-2) on Monday to 2-6, 0-6 devasted loser at the hands of Pete. Of course, conditions were not at all favourable and I was still nursing some niggling injuries from the previous match (well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

Wednesday night involved seeing Juzz and Josh play at the New Market and then off to the Eastern. However, impending public holiday and ENORMOUS queues meant for some membership handing on - the result being the confiscation of Juzz' membership and the need to move on greener pastures (i.e. Cargo). And then the fun began.
JD is an animal - picked up two randoms, started some conversation, had me 'wingman' the 'uglier' one (his words and he owes me BIG time) while pulling the other. Against my back. Slightly uncomfortable. However, then she disappeared on him. 'I've never kissed someone who didn't like me before... weird' was his only comment...

Yesterday was Australia Day - headed over to Tor M's house for a BBQ and some beverages and then out to Big Day Out. Circumstances, the multitudes and just running out of luck meant that I couldn't get to meet up with Brad or Kroch. Despite this slow start, I managed to get reasonably close to the Mars Volta who were intense... 45 mins without stopping once - just an onslaught of their prog-rock/jazz fusion. Pretty incredible. Then over to Common, who was wicked and finally to 2ManyDJs - best dance set I've ever heard... 14,400 square metre pavillion, huge screens, wicked light show and some awesome tunes. They are my favourite DJs, hailling from Belgium, and they would drop some classics (Primal Scream - Get Your Rocks Off, Rapture, Prodigy, Kaiser Chiefs) right in the middle of their hard house set. Superb!

No comments: