Saturday, January 20, 2007

Quick recap of the trip thus far

Just managed to get about half an hour free from the stresses of skiing and drinking, so thought I would indulge myself with some internet time (the withdrawals have been horrific).
Leaving on Tuesday, I got to the airport mostly intact, though it was inevitable I would forget something, I always do. This time it was my camera. BUT, it's not as bad as it seems - I'm meeting the family in Europe very soon so hopefully they will bring it for me. But it seems that Aspen will be limited to shots that Alec deems suitable - that's not altogether a bad thing, he did ban the upskirt shots from the 60th birthday.
The flight was as appalling as could be - note to everyone, "don't get excited about United". Shitty small seats, no movie screens to speak off and not even young hot stewardesses (it seems that seniority rules in the LA-Sydney trip - YUCK!). But 14 hours to LA, 2.5 to Denver and 30mins to Aspen wasn't too bad (contrasted to the rest of Alec's family who had a fire over the Pacific, landed in Western Samoa to a drunken police chief who banned their departure, 9 hours on the tarmac and basically 30 hours late for Aspen. Shit eh.
First night out, Alec and I got ourselves settled and headed to the nearest pub for a beer. Turns out, unbeknownst to us, it's the Aspen equivalent of the Sheaf and numerous familiar, friendly (and hammered) faces began to appear. What was supposed to be a quiet dinner turned into a solid night out, ending at about 2 when all the bars closed up shop. Shuffleboard, Buck Hunter and more than a few beers made for a great debut.
And that night out resulted in a sleep-in til 1pm the next day. Still unsure of where Alec's parents were (no phone coverage for them), we bought the necessary ski-gear and headed up for a cheeky lone run to get the ski legs back in. Aspen is awesome - although coming off the depths of Japanese snow makes drawing comparisons trés hard, the blue skies are picture-perfect. And knowing that Europe (the next port of call) hasn't had any snow to speak of, I'm making the most of it.
Day Three was solid. Powering around the main mountain all day, we met up with some of Alec's family friends for a guided tour. This made for a great learning curve, particularly because they'd been skiing for a couple of weeks already and were taking us down some ridiculous shit. Let's just say double black bumps bigger than me on some seriously steep slopes. Both of us were forced to find form (debatable!) quick smart.
Day Four (today) was awesome. Managed to meet up with some mates and their guide for a local's guide to one of the mountains (Snowmass). A solid morning, I'm still waiting for Tom Nolasco to stomp his backflip and then teach me the heli I've promised myself by the end of Aspen (now I'm screwed, I've made it public). This was followed by a move to Highlands and more skiing with family friends. Last run of the day, we found this mogul run under a lift, but that still had a shitload of snow on it. Favourite run of the day by far - shout out to Immy for the tip!
But time is running out for the internet cafe, so I'll end the stories here. I'll do my BEST for photos!!

No comments: